Saturday, April 14, 2012

I Was Hungry

by Ervina

I WAS HUNGRY...
you gave me directions to the local food bank
and returned to your thanksgiving meal around a laden table.

I WAS THIRSTY...
you pointed me to the water fountain down the street
and bought your four dollar morning starbucks.

I WAS A STRANGER...
you closed your door, turned out the lights
and half-heartedly hoped i would stumble across a homeless shelter somewhere.

I WAS NAKED...
you donated bags of clothes to the goodwill
and talked about the indecency of my appearance.

I WAS SICK...
you paid your monthly health insurance bill
and told me to please leave before i contaminated the family.

I WAS IN PRISON...
you were relieved i was off the streets and away from your door
and talked quietly about how i must have done something to deserve it.

I WAS
hungry
thirsty
a stranger
naked
sick
and in prison

AND YOU SAID
you'd pray for me.

--------------------------------------------------------------
Send your submissions to theinkwell10@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment