Saturday, April 14, 2012

Poems

by Renita

I happened upon two roads one day
And the one was high, and the other low
So I stopped and stared in bewilderment
Wondering on which I should go

The high road was narrow and rough and steep
And the other was smooth and wide and long
So I picked the road that looked best to me
And went on my way with a song

But my song soon faded the farther I went
As I choked on the dust in the air
And the bushes had thorns I had not seen before
And I fell into brier and snare

I struggled and fought to get out of the traps
Til I was bleeding and broken and bruised
I desperately cried and called for help
But no one could hear; t'was no use

Then a Man came along who was gentle and kind
With a voice that was soft and sweet
And he helped me back up the lower road
And he bandaged my aching feet

I tried so hard to get back up the path
But so oft I stumbled and slipped
But the Man beside me just picked me up
And pulled me from bramble and dip

The crossroads were now in sight again
Much to my joy and relief
But I could not pause, I must keep on going
And my rest was very brief

"You must choose a road," my Helper said
"You cannot sit in between"
I looked in His eyes and I felt a peace
For His face was calm and serene

He held out His hand to guide me along
And I took it, and hung my head in shame
For I knew I'd taken the road I shouldn't
But it was then He spoke my name

"All is forgiven" was all He said
But the words freed my guilty heart
Neither trials, nor storms, nor man's evil schemes
Could ever tear us apart

So I've traveled the high way from that day forth
And will til I cross the strand
For I've a Friend who will help me along
It's the Man with the scars in His hand.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Will He be with me to the end?
The God I scorned and turned my back against
I saw Him on the cross and turned away
His broken, bleeding body brought me to shame
I left Him alone to die
And walked away to follow the world
Oh, I stood by Him when He cleansed the leper
I boasted when He healed the sick
And set the captive free
My heart swelled with pride as
The lame danced, and the mute sang
And the blind rejoiced to see
But when it counted most
I was not there
Alone He had to face His enemies
Alone he bore the slashes of the whip
The mocking of the crowd
The spitting, the slaps, the crown of thorns
I could not even come to bear His cross
Alone He felt the nails pierce His hands
Alone He bore the sins of all mankind
I heard Him when He cried aloud
"My God, My God, why have You forsaken Me?"
I saw Him die upon that hill
Alone

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Send your submissions to theinkwell10@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment